Slowing Down Can Help You Lose Weight!

Kind of a curious idea isn’t it? We’ve been conditioned to have this thought that we have to be working out 3-5 days a week for an hour or more, while still being able to maintain a full-time job, family responsibilities, and go out with friends. Just writing that out was tiring.. Now, if you ARE able to manage that lifestyle, I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for you and your will to work because you are in the 3% of the population, congratulations! For the rest of the 97% of the population, arguably the greatest piece of advice I can give you is to SLOW DOWN. Most of us are in such a rush, and we don't even realize where we're going!

Think of our body like a car engine (pick your favorite car): it requires fuel (food), coolant (water), electrical energy (nerve impulses), etc. To break down the basics of an engine for you: The accelerator pedal is a direct line to your car’s engine. It controls the airflow into the intake manifold. This air is then mixed with fuel, and is then introduced with a spark, fed by spark plugs. This causes combustion, which forces the engine’s pistons down to rotate the crankshaft. Now, as the throttle pedal gets closer to the floor, the more air is sucked into the intake manifold to be mixed with even more fuel to rotate the crankshaft faster.

Applying this same principle to your body: if you are constantly on the go, stressing about a deadline or appointment, worrying about friends or loved ones, or any other form of stress is occupying your mind, your body is “accelerating” so to speak. The metabolic processes are on hyper-drive, your body is releasing neurochemicals and hormones to try and cope with this stress, which will ultimately lead to an accumulation of toxic-build up in the body and a lack of energy or fatigue.

On the other hand, when you’re in an “idle state”, or a state of relaxation, the body is no longer releasing those stress-induced neurochemicals and hormones, therefore, the body isn’t accumulating toxins. The overall result is more clarity, less anxiety, and more energy throughout the day. Doesn’t that sound nice?

The good news is, there are 2 simple steps you can take to help reduce the accumulation of toxins and create a longer lasting energy cycle throughout the day:

1. Increase the time it takes you to eat your meals. Our food should be the consistency of baby food by the time it reaches our stomachs. This ensures the food particles are digestible and there won’t be any accumulation of excess food particles in the body (this can lead to food allergies or other health complications).

2. Before lunch and dinner, take 7 DEEP breaths, in and out. You want each breath to take longer than the previous one, so if it takes you 4 seconds to inhale on your first breath, shoot for 5 seconds on the next inhalation, and so on.

If you were to apply these 2 techniques to your daily life, you will be surprised at the difference you will feel in a matter of weeks! I hope this helps just one of you reduce stress and maybe even shed your excess potential energy (a.k.a. body-fat, it sounds much more pleasant this way doesn’t it?!)